Sunday, March 16, 2014

Encourage

As part of our Life Group exercise a few weeks ago, our group all shared their "word" for 2014. We all picked out a word that described something that God was putting on our heart to put our focus on for the year.

My word for 2014: Encourage

I was sort of taken back by this word at first, but the more I began to focus on it... the more perfect it was for me.

I often worry that I don't have the right strengths, talents, hobbies, to be of use to people. I can't sing. I'm not creative. My athletic ability died when I was 16.... you get the point.

But... this word. Perfect. While I may not have a special gift to offer people, I can offer this.. words. I can choose to build up or tear down people by simply opening my mouth.

I can be the cheerleader for the person running the marathon, I can help build up a mom who's having a hard time with the kiddos, I can tell someone when they say or do something that speaks to me in a profound way.... I can encourage people to continue on... to be great... to survive.

"24And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, 25not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching." Hebrews 10:24-25

My goal this year is to live that out in the people around me... There's enough negative in the world. I can make a difference by putting a little positive encouragement out there.

What's your word?

No comments:

Post a Comment